Important Teruel municipality and capital of the region of Gúdar-Javalambre. It is located in the heart of the same between the Sierra de Javalambre to the south, and the Sierra de Gúdar, to the north.
Its best documented history dates back to the 12th century when it was conquered by Alfonso II in 1171. It is likely that there was an Iberian settlement and later a Muslim fortress from which no remains have come.
Mora de Rubielos has an exquisite gastronomy led by the production of hams under the Denomination of Origin Jamón de Teruel.
The locality is perfectly communicated towards all directions, being perhaps the north the nearest area in which we will find a greater proximity. Cabra de Mora, Alcalá de la Selva or El Castellar are some of the main destinations in which to soak up all the picturesque character of this northern area of the region.
The town was declared a Historic-Artistic Site in 1978, and is located within the Mudejar route in Aragón.
Between it is evident patrimonial wealth, we found monuments like:
Arco del CALVARIO
Following the street of Las Cruces, begins in a semicircular arch topped by three pinnacles, built in 1801, It is of ashlar masonry, like the pylons that mark the seasons. It ends in a similar arch, next to the hermitage of La Dolorosa, s. XVII.
In the Plaza de la Villa, you will find the town hall, building of the s. XVII, symmetrical construction of imposing ashlar masonry and ornamental elements. Reflection of the decline of seignorial and ecclesiastical power against the concejil oligarchy.
Casa GARCÍA HERRANZ
Facade of 1750. Highlights include the forge, the curved eaves, and the volumetric game. It has a polygonal chapel attached to the whole.
Castillo-Palacio de los FERNÁNDEZ de HEREDIA
Authentic stone mass, dominating the village, stands directly on a rocky platform. Of striking magnitude the building stands out both in surface and in thickness of the walls, which would connect with the solid and sober character of the Mediterranean Gothic, which was not conceived exclusively with a military purpose, but also residential, combining various elements: some typical of military architecture (towers, loopholes, embrasures, machicolation, adarve, etc.) and others of palatial and stately roots, such as the arrangement of the various rooms around a central patio. Despite the lack of documentation, a chronology can be established for the castle, which dates from the last third of the fourteenth century, extending until the first half of the fifteenth century. The castle was inhabited by the Fernández de Heredia until the year 1614, when they gave it to the Franciscan monks; these remained there until the exclaustration of Mendizábal (1835). This began the long process of changes and transformations that the building will undergo well into the 20th century. The importance of the castle of Mora de Rubielos in relation to those of the Mediterranean area, with which it can compete: Bellver, Perpignan, Castel Nuovo and Avignon. The relationship with the latter is explained by the contacts of Juan Fernández de Heredia (I), Grand Master of Rhodes and founder of the dynasty, with the papal court of Avignon. At present, it is trying to make it come alive. An Ethnological Museum and a Library have been installed in specialized subjects (Castellology, Ethnology, Anthropology, Poliorcética) and in summer it is the venue for the “Puerta al Mediterráneo” Festival. Other functions more (Parador or Hospedería), although at the moment, only in theory, they are reserved for this great building of the military and palatial architecture of the late fourteenth century.
Calle de las PARRAS
Gather the best repertoire of wealthy noble houses. Highlighting the Cortel mansion of the Fuen del elmo that reformed 1751, dates from the s. XV It highlights the façade of ashlar masonry and the forge of windows and balconies.
Hermitage of Loreto. Construction of 1.547, reformed in 1.798. It is of a single ship with two sections, semicircular head (conchiform) and covered with half-barrel vault with lunettes. As materials, sillar stone and masonry are used. It has a stone atrium covered with a gable roof, and is attached to the hermitage of San Roque. Hermitage of San Roque (on the right). It dates from the seventeenth century. Like the previous one is a single ship in stone and masonry. It is covered with a half-barrel vault and the head is conchiform.
Ermita de la Soledad (on the left). Built with the same materials as the previous ones, also of a single nave and covered with a half-barrel vault with lunettes. For the cruise the dome is used on pendentives, decorated with stucco graffiti. It has an atrium, and the doors, open on the sides, are of the ogee type.
Ermita de la Dolorosa. Its chronology is doubtful but it seems that it can be an 18th century work, although it was reformed in 1969, losing its original structure. It is rectangular in plan and covered with an empty vault. Unlike the previous ones, it has an oculus over the access door and with a bulrush.
Hermitage of San Miguel (center). 18th century building, masonry and ashlar stone to highlight the corners. It has a Latin cross plan that covers the nave and arms of the transept with a half-barrel vault, and with a dome on a small drum, the transept. To the outside they emphasize the tiles of blue ceramic (dome), the eaves of brick decorated with teeth of saw and the lintel door despired in voussoirs. Its reconstruction dates back to 1978.
Ex-colegiata de SANTA MARÍA
Possibly of century XIV, in 1.454, the archbishop of Saragossa, Dalmau de Mur, at the request of Mr. de Mora – Juan Fernandez de Heredia (VII) – elevates the temple to the category of Colegiata. It is a Gothic work based on sillar stone. The wide interior space, divided into five sections, is covered with a simple ribbed vault, as are the side chapels, except for the chapel of the Sagrario (17th century), which is placed on the side of the Gospel, next to the choir. At the foot of the temple the choir is arranged, slightly posterior; in it, there are semicircular windows and the starry ribbed vault (XVI century). The forge fence, also of the sixteenth century, is its most valuable element. The width of the nave – 19 m – is only surpassed within the Hispanic Gothic by the cathedral of Gerona. The cloister, although it may seem posterior, is within the Gothic tradition. In 1851, the church loses its status as a collegiate church, and after the last civil war, it ends up in a ruinous state. However, its artistic value is undoubted, and in 1944 it is declared a National Monument. The Ex Collegiate church of Santa María de Mora de Rubielos is a Gothic work that participates in the characteristics of the Levantine Gothic for its constructive rationality, adaptation to the environment, predominance of the architectural masses (thick buttresses) and of the prismatic volumes against the minor importance of sculpted decoration.
Its high bastions and the wall, partially carved in the quarry.
They are the best example of the second fortified enclosure.
NUEVO PORTAL DE RUBIELOS
Built in the last third of the fourteenth century, it was dismantled as it hindered the passage of trucks and moyanos, rebuilt in 1993. Access door to Villanueva street, old road to Rubielos and possible axis of expansion prior to expansion.
Plaza de la IGLESIA
Dominated by the façade of the former collegiate church, and behind, by the castle, it combines the Bajomediaval and Renaissance civil architecture, rectorial house, s. XVII, Its source, which dates from the beginning of the century, has an elegant cast-iron finish.
Portal de ALCALÁ o de los OLMOS
Door flanked by paths, towers joined by a bridge at the top. The frontal wall that joins them rests on a reduced arch, being of wood the base of the bridge.
Portal de CABRA
Tower-gate through which access to the Plaza de las Monjas (or the Mayorazgo), which owes its name to the convent of the Franciscans who housed the mansion of the Lopez Monteagudo, s. XVI, highlighting its eaves and the masonry façade.
PRIMER PORTAL DE RUBIELOS
Curious tower-door, very modified, dates from 1380.
Very transformed today. communicates the old town with the new one.
PUENTE VIEJO O DEL MILAGRO
Work of cataria and masonry, consists of two arches (one slightly pointed and another reduced) and a size of masonry, on which the pylon of the Miracle has been restored.